Skip to main content

Transition planning

Transitioning from youth to adult services

What happens to my services when I turn 18?

When you turn 18, you are considered to be an adult. Children’s services such as Special Services at Home, Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities or services through the Ontario Autism Program end. You must apply to Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) to see if you are eligible for adult developmental services.

When can I apply?

To reduce the service gap between children and adult services, you should start the application process early and apply, at age 16. With all of the correct documents, you can be confirmed eligible for adult developmental services at age 16, however, the services will not start until age 18.

Need more information?

To find out more, contact Developmental Services Ontario (DSO) by calling 2-1-1, or visit to find your area DSO

Transition planning

Working together

A transition plan is your opportunity to plan for your future.

Who can help with your transition?

You can select someone from your

  • family,
  • school,
  • community agency, and/or a
  • respite worker.

Your role

  • Have a voice, your opinion matters.
  • Be involved as much as possible.
  • Think about your goals for the transition and your future.

Your parent/caregiver

  • Helps to develop your goals during the transition.
  • Helps to advocate for you, making sure your voice is heard.

How do you prepare?

  • Think about your upcoming transition.
  • Identify who can help you in the process.
  • Choose a lead (you, a professional, or a person you trust and rely on).
  • Make sure you have the required documents for the application process.

Making the transition

Step 1:

Find your area DSO.

Step 2:

Call your area DSO when you turn 16 to see if you are eligible for services.

Step 3:

Complete an application package and get connected to available services.

Step 4:

Stay in touch so we can keep your file updated.

Some of the services that may be available to you include:

  • specialized supports,
  • Passport program,
  • housing supports,
  • community participation supports, and
  • caregiver respite supports.