While you’re waiting
What other resources are available to me?
While you are waiting for your ministry-funded services to become available, you may want to research other local community resources, programs, and activities. Try connecting with your local recreation center, private recreation providers, seniors’ centers, and non-profit organizations that offer a variety of programs and activities for adults with special needs and seniors. Many of these programs are geared to meet the interests and abilities of all participants.
Where to look for a program
Below are some ways to find a recreation program that may meet your needs:
- Look up activities happening at local municipal parks, community and non-profit organizations.
- Find adult continuing education classes and recreation guides.
- Talk to friends and family about what activities are available in your community.
- Search for information fairs and special events in your community.
- If you’re a senior, contact your local senior centre.
- 211 Ontario.
Ask yourself these questions to see if the program is right for you.
- What kind of supports will I need to be successful?
- What are some of the activities I have done in the past and enjoyed?
- What have I always wanted to do?
- What are my recreation goals?
Before you sign up for the program, ask the program coordinator these questions to see if the program suits your needs.
- What is the program’s philosophy?
- How does the program ensure the safety and security of its participants?
- Your programs fill up quickly so start your search early!
- Attend the program orientation or request to meet the instructor.
- Prepare yourself for the start of the program (buy equipment, supplies, etc.).
- How am I going to get there? (look up transit routes, find shared rides).
We can help you understand your housing options.
We can help you understand your service options.
Connect to more community resources.
Webcasts & Podcasts
Watch our webcasts or listen to our podcasts to learn and stay up-to-date on available ministry-funded services and supports.