Skip to main content

Funded services

As your access point to adult developmental services, your area DSO will help connect you to ministry-funded services that may be available in your community. Some of the services and supports that may be available to you are listed below. Click on each item or the “+” sign for more information on each service and support.

Specialized Supports

Specialized supports are provided by local agencies and funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS). Agencies offer different types of specialized services and supports across the province. Some of the types of specialized services and supports that may be available to you include:

Adult protective service worker (APSW)

An APSW can meet regularly with you to help you:

  • learn about community supports and ministry-funded services.
  • identify your strengths and needs.
  • stay informed about supports and direct you to the ones you need.
  • develop problem-solving and life skills, like budgeting and learning to use public transportation.

In some communities, adult protective service workers have different titles, such as service coordinator or adult support worker.

Behavioural services

Behavioural consultants can help you by:

  • assessing your ability to be independent and recommend skills for daily life.
  • assisting you in developing and evaluating your behaviour support plan.
  • providing behavioural strategy training to your caregiver and other supports.
  • teaching you support strategies to prevent a crisis.

This service is determined by evaluating your needs and may be provided to you directly or through a group setting.

Case management services

A case manager works with you and your family to coordinate formal and informal services and supports to meet your unique goals. These services are often provided on a short-term basis.

Person-directed planning

A person-directed plan reviews your individual dreams and goals. With the support of an agency or other support person, a person-directed plan helps you find the tools you need to make it happen.

Creating a person-directed plan will help you:

  • define a vision of your future life.
  • identify your strengths and gifts.
  • set goals and make choices.
  • find ways for you to participate in communities.
  • locate people who can help you achieve your dreams.

Passport Program

The Passport program is a reimbursement program that helps adults with a developmental disability participate in their community. You can either choose to receive the money directly, or purchase your supports and services through an agency. Passport provides funding for services and supports so you can:

  • take part in community classes or recreational programs.
  • develop work, volunteer, and daily life skills.
  • hire a support worker.
  • create your own life plan (this is called person-directed planning) to reach your goals.
  • get temporary respite for your caregiver(s).

For more information, visit

Housing Supports

Housing supports are provided by agencies and funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS). Here are some types of housing supports that may be available in your community:

Group homes and group living supports

  • You will live with a few unrelated people.
  • Provide you support for up to 24 hours per day.
  • Accommodate you based on your needs and abilities.

Supported independent living

  • You live more independently.
  • Someone helps you with daily activities.
  • You receive between 2 to 10 hours of support during the day every week.
  • You must be able to be alone overnight and do things like shower or brush your teeth without help.

Host family home/associate living support

  • You live with a family who can provide you with care and supports.
  • You are encouraged to become an active member of the household.
  • You are matched with a family that has similar interests, needs and lifestyle.

Community Participation Supports

If you are looking to connect to your community through meaningful experiences that promote your personal interests, skills, growth and development, the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) funds local agencies who provide Community Participation Supports.

Agencies can help you participate in the following community activities:

  • recreation,
  • volunteering,
  • life skills, and
  • employment opportunities.

Caregiver Respite Supports

Caregiver respite supports give your primary caregiver(s) a temporary break from their daily routine by providing you with care in different ways. Some caregivers use their Passport funding to choose and pay for their own respite support while others choose to use a respite program where you can stay for a short period of time, either in-home or outside of the home. This can be during the day, evening or weekend.

Government Financial Programs

In addition to services accessed through your area Developmental Services Ontario (DSO), the following are government financial programs available to you:

Ontario disability support program (ODSP)

If you have a disability and need help with your living expenses, you may be eligible for the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). ODSP offers:

  • financial assistance to help you and your family pay for essential living expenses.
  • health benefits, for you and your family, including prescription drugs and vision care.
  • help to find and keep a job, and advance your career.

Contact the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) office in your area for more ODSP information.

Registered disability savings plan (RDSP)

The Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) can help you or your family save for the future. An RDSP can earn interest tax-free until it is taken out of the plan.

The government can make contributions if you have a low or modest family income, regardless of whether or not you contribute financially to your plan. It can also provide grants based on matching contributions from private sources.

The government offers up to $20,000 in bonds and $70,000 in grants to eligible individuals.

These government contributions are paid to your RDSP until you become 49 years of age. Any contribution to your RDSP will have no impact on your other federal benefits such as the Canada Child Benefit, the Goods and Services Tax Credit, Old Age Security payments and Employment Insurance.

What agencies provide these services and supports?

Your area DSO works with a variety of ministry-funded agencies across the province to help connect you to services and supports. To find out what agencies they partner with in your community please click on your area DSO below.

DSO Central East Region

York Region:

Durham Region:

Simcoe County:


DSO Central West Region

Peel Region:

Halton Region:

Wellington County:

Dufferin County:

Waterloo Region:

DSO Eastern Region

DSO Hamilton-Niagara Region

DSO North East Region

DSO Northern Region

DSO South East Region

DSO South West Region

Bruce and Grey Counties:


Elgin and Oxford Counties:

Huron and Perth Counties:

London– Middlesex:

Sarnia – Lambton:

Windsor – Essex:

DSO Toronto Region